This historic producer, founded in 1952, is named after the legendary Porto matriarch...
Dona Antónia Ferreira. Affectionately nicknamed 'Ferreirinha' by her countrymen, the house pays homage to her memory and was the first house in the region dedicated to making light wines. Purchased by Sogrape in 1987, it has 520 hectares of vineyard in the Douro in all of its three sub-regions: Lower Corgo, Upper Corgo and Douro Superior. The winemaking is headed up by Luis Sottomayor, who manages to restrain the Douro’s natural exuberance to produce wines that have a freshness, like Esteva and Papa Figos, allied to a wonderful depth and texture, as with Vinha Grande Tinto and Quinta da Leda. Barca Velha is only made in exceptional vintages, and is widely considered to be the best of what the Douro has to offer.
The grapes for Papa Figos Branco are from carefully selected sites in the Cima Corgo and Douro Superior. The mountainous vineyards of the Douro have schist soils with vines planted either in vertical rows or on traditional "patamares" (terraces). The selected plots are perfectly suited for optimal maturation with hot days and cool evenings bringing out the fresh fruit character of the grapes.
The 2016 harvest year started with a mild, dry winter but quickly changed into a prolonged period of constant and heavy rain and low temperatures. These conditions continued into spring and contributed to an increased risk of mildew. This affected the lower climes where flowering suffered, reducing yields as a result. Although there were spikes in temperature, summer was mild with generally cool evenings, resulting in a long and balanced maturation that produced wines of superior quality.
After gentle crushing, the grapes were pressed and the must was then settled and racked off its gross lees. Fermentation took place at controlled temperatures between 16ºC and 18ºC and lasted approximately 20 days. After fermentation, roughly 20% of the batch was matured in used French oak barrels for three months; the remaining 80% was kept in stainless steel tanks. The wine went through careful fining and filtering before bottling to preserve the fresh fruit character.
Lemon yellow in colour with golden tints. The wine is very aromatic with prominent floral notes, tropical fruit and herbaceous qualities. On the palate, it is well-structured with a subtle minerality and a long, persistent finish.
|Grape varieties||55% Rabigato
Liberty Wines customers can order this wine directly from us.