This wine is straw yellow in colour with youthful highlights. There are distinctive aromas of pear, apple and light floral notes, which are enhanced by its fine and persistent bubbles. It has bright acidity on the palate with a characteristically refreshing, fruity finish.
The Pignoletto vines are cultivated on the hills between Modena and Bologna. The 7 hectares vineyards are located at an altitude up to 200 metres above sea level, in optimum conditions to produce a white wine with a delicate nose and good structure. The gradual slopes are formed of clay and calcareous soil with a slightly alkaline pH. The clones are obtained from a mass selection of the company’s ancient vineyards; these are traceable back to the Grechetto Gentile varietal which was introduced in the area around 1400 AD. The vines are 12 years old planted at a density of 4,000 vines/ha. They are trained to Geneva double curtain.
2020 was a good vintage in Emilia. Winter was cold and wet, followed by a sunny spring with perfect bud break. Summer was hot and humid, but with no hailstorms. Harvest began in early September under ideal conditions.
After harvest, a portion of the grapes were pressed and underwent a short maceration. The remaining grapes were softly whole bunch pressed at a controlled temperature. The must was cold settled and alcoholic fermentation with selected yeasts took place in stainless steel vats at low temperatures. The second fermentation occurred in pressurised steel vats (cuve close) at 16-18°C for about one month. After this, the wine was stabilised at -3°C for 10 days before it was bottled under pressure.
Villa Cialdini is the main house of the Azienda Agricola Castelvetro, an estate southeast of Modena that has been owned by the Chiarli family since 1860. Cousins Anselmo and Mauro Chiarli, who manage the family company, started the Castelvetro project in 2002. Their idea - ambitious today, let alone in 2002 - was to build a state of the art winery to produce top quality Lambrusco. They spent a year renovating the winery and then, using the property’s old vineyards, began production in 2003. The estate is comprised of 70 hectares, of which 52 are planted to vine on the undulating alluvial deposits typical of the Padana plain.