Vintage: 2019

VintageProduct CodeFormatClosureAvailability
2019OR301B196 x 75Natural CorkAvailable
Vegetarian
Vegan
Practising Organic
Producer

Orben is an exciting estate in Rioja Alavesa, established with the aim of producing a single-estate Rioja that rivals the best of the region. The Antón family of Izadi owns 75% of the property, with the remaining 25% being split between 50 of Spain’s top restaurateurs, all friends of the family who share a common passion for fine food and wine.

The 29 hectares of vineyard lie at the foot of the Sierra Cantabria mountain range in Laguardia (neighbouring those of Izadi) and are divided into 74 parcels of bush vines, each with their own particular microclimate. The vineyards were planted between 1945 and 1954, and the resulting low yields from these old vines give great concentration and depth to the wine. The limestone and clay soils impart excellent minerality, while the altitude of the estate (around 450 metres above sea level) and the mitigating influence of the Atlantic Ocean bring freshness to the intense, berried fruit.

The winemaking team, with Ruth Rodriguez at the head, ensures that the Rioja is distinctively modern in style, with the fruit leading the way and light toasted notes (from 12 months ageing in French oak) being revealed on the slightly smoky finish. It is a wine of great structure, poise, balance and length.

Vineyards

The vineyards benefit from the mitigating influence of the Atlantic Ocean giving the resulting wines fresh acidity, which is important in a very warm climate. This area has the highest percentage of old vines in Rioja. The grapes for this wine come from a selection of 79 plots of an average size of 0.30 hectares, located in Laguardia. The vineyards were planted between 1945 and 1954 and have an average yield of four tonnes per hectare. The bush vine vineyards are planted on sandy soil at an altitude of around 520 metres above sea level.

Vintage

2019 was one of the driest years in Rioja. The spring was warm with very little rainfall, and as a result the water reserves in the soil were not well replenished. As a result, the crop was less than usual, with smaller bunches, however the grapes were very healthy, with good levels of sugar and phenolic ripeness.

Vinification

Harvest began in mid-October. The grapes were hand picked into 15 kilogram boxes and manually selected on the sorting table. After fermentation in temperature controlled stainless-steel tanks, malolactic fermentation took place in oak and stainless steel. The wine was then aged for 12 months in fine grain French oak (50% new, 50% two year old).

Tasting Notes & Technical Details

This wine is a deep, garnet red in colour. It is very intense on the nose, with aromas of cherry, blackberry, toffee, toasty oak and a hint of leather. It has a complex and impeccable balance, with a long and aromatic finish.

Alcohol (ABV)

14.5%

Acidity

5.36 g/l

Residual Sugar

1.7 g/l

pH

3.55